Denver voters will consider measure to allow for limited social consumption


Last update: September 6, 2016


Voters in Denver will have the chance to adopt a sensible social consumption measure in the city this November. If successful, it would open the door for businesses to allow responsible, social use of marijuana in those neighborhoods that welcome adult consumption. Although Colorado has allowed adults to consume cannabis since 2012, it does not provide any clear means for consumers to consume together socially outside a person’s private residence. Responsible adults should be able to socialize and consume cannabis together outside their homes — particularly in businesses and communities that welcome them.

In addition to the measure making the Denver ballot, it has been a positive year for cannabis policies in Colorado this year, including several good bills passed by the legislature. As a result of these changes, out-of-state visitors aged 21 or over may now purchase up to an ounce of marijuana from licensed retail shops, treating visitors the same as state residents. Students who are medical marijuana patients were also granted protections that prohibit schools from disciplining them for possession or consumption, nor may schools deny admission based on patient status in the registry. Finally, out-of-state ownership of and investment in cannabis-related businesses will be much easier for those who apply, starting January 1, 2017.

But Colorado continues its winning streak when it comes to marijuana legalization. Click here for further details on life after legalization and regulation in Colorado. If you have not already done so, please sign-up for our free, state-specific email alerts.

Families find hope high in the Rocky Mountains


In the summer of 2013, CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta released a documentary about medical marijuana called Weed, featuring a CBD-rich cannabis oil that could save lives. The oil successfully treated seizures caused by intractable epilepsy, which sometimes occur hundreds of times per day. Soon, more than a hundred families flocked to Colorado, most with a child suffering from similar seizures. They called themselves “medical refugees,” and Colorado’s medical cannabis was their last hope.

If you or someone you know would like to become a registered medical marijuana patient in Colorado, please visit the Department of Public Health and Environment’s website for a list of frequently asked questions, application information, and materials.

Pending Legislation