Someone is arrested for a marijuana offense every 48 seconds. 87% of these arrests are for marijuana possession — not for sale or manufacturing. In the U.S., there are more arrests for marijuana possession each year than for all violent crimes combined.
Marijuana prohibition has failed.
It's time for a new approach, and MPP is leading the way. Since our founding in 1995, we've been making real progress in reforming U.S. marijuana laws, by:
- Lobbying for legislation and running ballot initiative campaigns to allow seriously ill patients to use medical marijuana with their doctors' recommendations
- Lobbying for legislation and sponsoring ballot initiatives to replace marijuana prohibition with a sensible system of regulation
- Garnering widespread media coverage of the need to change marijuana policies
- Lobbying Congress to reduce the White House drug czar's budget for his deceptive ad campaigns
- Building coalitions of supportive individuals and organizations to advocate on behalf of marijuana policy reform
- and much more.
Because MPP believes that the greatest harm associated with marijuana is prison, we focus on removing criminal penalties for marijuana use, with a particular emphasis on making marijuana medically available to seriously ill people who have the approval of their doctors.
We know that real change takes more than good ideas, so MPP is all about getting results — changing policies and laws. Please learn about some of our major accomplishments.
And if you are one of the millions of Americans who agree that it’s time to stop arresting marijuana users, please consider donating to our work. We are making real progress — but we are 100% reliant on donations from people like you to push forward in our work. Still not sure? Read some of the reasons to donate here.
Want to know more about MPP Foundation before donating? Click here for additional charity information.