Only 23 states allow citizen-initiated ballot initiatives, meaning in most states the only way to reform marijuana laws is via the legislature. State legislatures across the country are considering new laws to legalize marijuana for adults, to adopt effective medical marijuana laws, or to replace possible jail time with fines for marijuana possession.
Learn more about current legislation being considered in state legislatures across the country, read about legislative updates and types of marijuana policy reform laws, and find MPP's model bills below.
Current Bills and Legislative Updates
- Current Marijuana Policy Reform Legislation
- Marijuana Policy Progress Report 2019 Legislative Update
- Types of Marijuana Policy Reform Laws
- Map of State Marijuana Laws
MPP's Model Legislation
- Model Tax and Regulate Bill Summary
- MPP's Model State Bill to Replace Prohibition With Regulation
- MPP's Model Civil Fine Bill
- MPP's Model State Medical Marijuana Bill