How can you help pass a medical marijuana law in KY?
Kentucky’s effort to build support for medical marijuana legislation made great progress in 2013. Want to know how you can help get this law passed in 2014? Here is a step-by-step guide to engaging your elected representatives:
(1) Begin by writing a few paragraphs explaining why you personally care about passing a medical marijuana law in Kentucky. Focus on your own experiences, or the experiences of people you know and care about (for example, a suffering relative), as personal stories tend to be much more compelling than academic arguments. This will become the email that you send to the delegates and senators who represent you in Frankfort.
(2) I encourage you to send me a draft at email@example.com before you send it to your representatives. I would be happy to edit and make suggestions for making your message more effective.
(3) Use this page to identify the representative and senator who represent your district. Send each a personalized email (begin with “Dear Representative or Senator So-and-so”) and ask them to support the medical marijuana bill. If you don’t have time to send a personalized email, click here to send a prewritten email.
(4) If you are, for any reason, uncomfortable contacting your representatives, consider this question: how can you expect your delegates to publicly vote in favor of medical marijuana if you’re not willing to ask them? Take comfort in the fact that legislators almost always respect the confidentiality of any messages they receive from constituents.
(5) If you do not receive a response within a few days, follow up with a phone call to the representative or senator’s office. If you receive a substantive answer, please let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you find out your legislator is undecided or opposed, try to learn what his or her objections and concerns are so we can work to address them and turn that “no” or “maybe” into a “YES.”
(6) If you are comfortable having your thoughts and experiences published in a newspaper, modify your email into a short letter (200 words maximum). You can find a list of all Kentucky newspapers and their websites here. Each website should include guidelines for submitting letters. Again, I’d be more than happy to assist with editing and the submission process, so feel free to ask!
(7) Talk to your friends and family members and ask them to follow the above steps. There is nothing more persuasive to a legislator than receiving a large number of messages from constituents! Again, supporters who prefer to send a prewritten letter can easily do so by clicking here.
(8) If you have other ideas for promoting this issue and persuading legislators, please share them with me at email@example.com. Thanks and good luck!